Website Shearman & Sterling LLP
Shearman & Sterling LLP is one of the world’s leading international law firms. We gained that reputation due to the outstanding achievements of our entire global workforce—our lawyers, legal assistants, and the professionals who support the firm. Our Professional Support staff is a key contributor to our success, whether in IT, finance, marketing, human resources or operations.
Shearman & Sterling LLP remains at the forefront of the legal profession in the 21st century as it has since its founding in 1873. Anticipating the forces that affect business and responding to our clients’ needs has been one of our greatest strengths. Our extensive international platform enables us to represent clients from offices in the world’s key commercial centers. Today, we advise leading corporations, financial institutions, emerging growth companies, governments, and state-owned enterprises on cross-border as well as exclusively local matters. The firm’s pioneering spirit has created a diverse foundation and legal practice of unsurpassed global reach.
The Manager of Legal Recruiting reports to the Director of Legal Recruiting and is responsible for the day-to-day management of the on-campus interview and callback processes, the summer associate program and entry-level recruitment. Collaborating with the Director of Legal Recruiting, the Recruiting & Campus Relations Manager and the larger Talent team, the Manager of Legal Recruiting is expected to execute the firm’s strategy to achieve its recruiting goals. The Manager will demonstrate a commitment to inspiring and empowering the larger team and strive for continuous improvement to achieve best practices and outcomes.
• Manage on-campus interview process at 30+ law schools
• Travel to select schools for interviews, job fairs, receptions and other recruiting events
• Ensure proper staffing for all interview programs
• Coordinate callback interview process. Create bespoke interview schedules and prepare files for review at recruiting committee meetings
• Lead recruiting committee offer decision meetings and provide hiring recommendations on candidate files
• Act as a resource and advisor to candidates, lawyers and other team members throughout the recruiting process
• Work with the larger recruiting team to audit viRecruit, the applicant tracking system, for accuracy of data and efficiency of reporting. Produce reports and analyze data for the department and for recruiting committee meetings
• Collaborate with the Recruiting & Campus Relations Manager on campus outreach and pipeline initiatives
• Manage the entry-level recruitment process, including sourcing of candidates, interview scheduling, offer decisions and onboarding
Summer Associate Program
• Plan and execute the US Track Summer Program in collaboration with the Director of Legal Recruiting and the Recruiting & Campus Relations Manager
• Work with the Professional Development team to develop and execute summer associate training programs
• Liaise with all relevant departments for summer associate onboarding, including office services, technology and training, payroll, work authorization/visa acquisition (if applicable), etc.
• Manage the summer associate evaluation process, including mid-summer and end-summer reviews
• Monitor the overall program and summer associate performance and provide updates at committee meetings
• Oversee summer associate entry-level offer process
• Plan and execute the firm’s annual Winter Weekend orientation program for incoming summer associates. Secure venues for events and panelists for practice group presentations
• Work with the Legal Talent team to help develop innovative and creative ways to disseminate the firm’s recruiting message, including helping with the development and maintenance of the recruiting website, brochures and other collateral
• Develop social media strategy and manage the firm’s recruiting social media accounts
• Manage and train Temporary Legal Recruiting Assistant(s)
• Oversee completion and data compilation for various surveys throughout the year (NALP, Chambers, AmLaw, etc.)
• Work with the Director on budget preparation for recruiting efforts and the annual Summer Associate Program
• Complete ad hoc projects as necessary
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Strong ability to collaborate and engage with students, lawyers and business services professionals
• Must be a creative problem solver and possess a high level of self-confidence, maturity and excellent judgement
• Strong ability to maintain highly confidential and sensitive information
• High energy with a great deal of enthusiasm and ability to stay calm under pressure
• Exceptionally strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize a number of responsibilities, while maintaining accuracy
• Excellent written and oral communication skills – including the ability to tailor the communication style to a specific audience
• Exceptional public speaking, presentation and networking skills
• Demonstrates a strong customer service orientation
Education & Experience
• A minimum of five years of prior recruiting experience (law firm preferred)
• A bachelor's degree is required
• Knowledge of the legal market and current industry is important, as is a willingness to learn
Physical Activity/Other Miscellaneous
• Must be willing to work extended hours and travel, including some weekends, particularly during the busy recruiting season
Shearman & Sterling LLP is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race or color, religion, national origin or ancestry, gender or gender identity/expression, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, medical condition, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law.
Shearman & Sterling, LLP is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Shearman & Sterling, LLP will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact the firm’s Human Resources department at email@example.com.
Shearman & Sterling LLP encourages the advancement of well-being in the legal profession. As such the Firm has committed to support the wellness pledge launched by the American Bar Association and we are working to adopt and maintain its framework for improved well-being among all our lawyers, legal assistants and business services professionals.
To apply, please click here.