Website Shearman & Sterling LLP
Shearman & Sterling LLP is one of the world’s leading international law firms. We gained that reputation due to the outstanding achievements of our entire global workforce—our lawyers, legal assistants, and the professionals who support the firm. Our Professional Support staff is a key contributor to our success, whether in IT, finance, marketing, human resources or operations.
Shearman & Sterling LLP remains at the forefront of the legal profession in the 21st century as it has since its founding in 1873. Anticipating the forces that affect business and responding to our clients’ needs has been one of our greatest strengths. Our extensive international platform enables us to represent clients from offices in the world’s key commercial centers. Today, we advise leading corporations, financial institutions, emerging growth companies, governments, and state-owned enterprises on cross-border as well as exclusively local matters. The firm’s pioneering spirit has created a diverse foundation and legal practice of unsurpassed global reach.
The Legal Recruiting Coordinator will help enhance Shearman and Sterling's presence and visibility on campus and at targeted law school events to advance the firm’s competitive position among the general law student population and diverse student organizations.
- Coordinate firmwide on-campus interview process, including registering for on-campus interviews/hospitality suites, coordinating attorney interview coverage, traveling to various law schools, overseeing hospitality suite staffing, and attending 1L/2L receptions, offer dinners, and other programs
- Screen summer associate candidates and make callback recommendations
Act as a liaison with prospective candidates and Shearman lawyers/administrators
- Help plan and attend offer dinners and other follow-up events as needed
- Work with Campus Relations team to coordinate law student organization outreach and sponsorships throughout the year
- Liaise with offices outside of New York, specifically the Bay Area, Texas offices and Washington, DC, to coordinate recruiting efforts and to ensure proper level of support
- Maintain legal recruiting database (viRecruit), assist with data entry and audit reports to ensure accuracy of information
- Help collect data for NALP forms, Employer Feedback information for schools, as well as other surveys/requests that are submitted throughout the year
- Support the summer associate performance review process, tracking outstanding reviews and creating complete files for partners to review
- Assist with other aspects of the summer associate program as needed, including maintaining summer associate event calendar and attending summer associate events
- Act as mentor and resource for students during various stages of the recruitment process, from pre-law school (outgoing legal assistants, SEOs, 1L LCLD Diversity Scholars) on through to summer associates
- Assist with early identification and tailored recruitment of promising prospects; act as liaison, connecting students to appropriate attorneys, specifically utilizing the firm’s Inclusion Networks where appropriate
- Attend and/or staff career fairs, conferences and related engagements throughout the year to execute on firm recruitment strategy
- Prepare necessary charts, reports, calendars and action plans to track recruitment and diversity statistics
- Contribute to and play a key role in development of recruiting website, brochure and other collateral
- Perform other such responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, self-motivation, enthusiasm, energy and capability to work effectively with a variety of people and departments
- Demonstrated ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulation or government law
- Superior ability to communicate clearly and effectively in writing and in person on an individual, small and large group situation
- Strong industry knowledge; familiarity with legal landscape & first-hand understanding of OCI process; recruitment-specific marketing knowledge; some public speaking
Education & Experience
- 3+ years of legal recruiting experience or Career Services experience, ideally with both logistical coordination and "bigger picture" strategy elements
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- First-hand experience with the law firm interview process; strong networks within legal industry and law schools; understanding of firm business structure, market conditions, practice areas and "mindset" of law students
JD welcome, but not required
Physical Activity/Other Miscellaneous
- Must be able to travel and work extended hours
Shearman & Sterling LLP is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race or color, religion, national origin or ancestry, gender or gender identity/expression, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, medical condition, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law.
Shearman & Sterling, LLP is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Shearman & Sterling, LLP will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact the firm’s Human Resources department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shearman & Sterling LLP encourages the advancement of well-being in the legal profession. As such the Firm has committed to support the wellness pledge launched by the American Bar Association and we are working to adopt and maintain its framework for improved well-being among all our lawyers, legal assistants and business services professionals
Please click here to apply.