Website Ropes & Gray LLP
Reporting to the Director of Global Lateral Partner Recruitment, the Senior Lateral Partner Recruiting Manager (“Sr. Manager”) will be responsible for firm wide lateral partner and counsel recruitment efforts, including working with senior management to develop firm, practice and office strategic hiring goals and approaches, managing relationships with legal search firms, devising and implementing search strategies, pre-screening candidate submissions, devising and implementing recruitment strategies, managing recruitment processes across all offices (globally) and overseeing the onboarding of new lateral partners and counsel in conjunction with Practice Development and Attorney Talent . The incumbent in this role will collaborate with and support the Policy Committee (“PC”), Practice Group Leaders (“PGLs”), Office Managing Partners (“OMPs”) and the Director of Global Lateral Partner Recruiting in all aspects of the firm’s lateral partner and counsel recruitment efforts. Manages legal recruiting coordinators and staff, in support of lateral partner recruitment efforts.
- Manage partner and counsel lateral hiring across all offices. Work directly with Director of Global Lateral Partner Recruitment, firm leadership, practice group leaders and office managing partners on hiring priorities, strategy and implementation.
- Coach firm leaders on recruiting best practices and provide regular updates to firm management on market developments, with a particular focus on direct competitors.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key legal search firms. Serve as the firm’s liaison to search firm personnel engaged to meet hiring needs. Manage relationships with external recruiters, including contract arrangements and negotiations, candidate screening and quality assurance. Maintain communication with recruiters; ensure consistent message regarding the firm and its recruiting needs. Develop and maintain a sense of marketplace intelligence, e.g., hiring trends, the movement of key talent to competitors and scarce or hot skills. Obtain and analyze information regarding status of job market. Establish agency metrics to measure success of placements and working relationships; work with team and director to enhance agency tracking and develop preferred provider lists based on feedback and a proven track record of successful placements.
- Working closely with practice group leaders, specialty group leaders and office managing partners, develop and implement proactive search strategies to meet recruiting needs across all offices, including sourcing of candidates. Update firm leadership as appropriate regarding search and candidate status, ensure maintenance and updating of lateral partner pipeline reports. Educate practice group leaders, office managing partners and other partners and staff as to recruitment process and ways to ensure maximum likelihood of success.
- In collaboration with the Marketing Communications department and working closely with practice and office leadership, develop marketing and media profile-raising campaigns and internal messaging to attract prospects and promote new partner hires.
- Oversee all elements of the recruiting process, including obtaining and analyzing due diligence materials such as the response to the Standard Information Request and conflict disclosure forms and ensuring development of business justification (sponsor) memos. Act as liaison to lateral partner and counsel candidates throughout the interviewing process. Manage screening and full round interview process for all lateral partner and counsel candidates across all offices, including ensuring development of appropriate slates of interviewers for approved full round interviews. Ensure collection of evaluative materials and facilitate preparation of materials for Policy Committee review following full rounds of interviews.
- In close conjunction with Practice Development and Attorney Talent, develop and oversee implementation of onboarding and integration strategy for each lateral partner and counsel, and regularly assess progress and field issues and concerns. Facilitate implementation of integration processes, including development of integration plan by Practice Development and periodic check-ins.
- Oversee collection of and analysis of recruiting data and results, compare to strategy and targets, communicate status to the Director of Global Lateral Partner Recruitment and determine resulting action plan. Establish meaningful metrics to measure and evaluate the performance of lateral partners and counsel, and work with Director to enhance partner and counsel recruiting, onboarding and integration processes. Prepare and deliver presentations to firm leadership on recruiting goals, successes, challenges, strategies and market trends as requested or appropriate.
- Collaborate with Policy Committee Liaison to the Diversity Committee, the Diversity Committee and Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to achieve diversity hiring goals. Strategically recruit diverse talent and lead efforts to ensure diverse pipelines, successful recruitment and integration.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree, JD preferred;
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive attorney recruiting experience, preferably in a law firm or professional services firm, or experience practicing law, preferably in a multi-office setting with strong involvement to firm recruiting function;
- Experience managing staff;
- Strong understanding of general legal recruiting processes and knowledge of mid-to-large sized law firms and the legal industry as a whole;
- Proficiency in the use of computer programs including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) and database programs (e.g., LawCruit);
Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility in responding quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities.
- Possess practical, independent judgment and self-confidence.
- Be a proven leader and manager, with great attention to detail.
- Is well organized and resourceful; highly effective and efficient at marshaling multiple resources to get things done, across a variety of constituencies.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of firm personnel.
- Must be team-oriented and able to share information, goals, opportunities, successes and failures with the appropriate parties.
- Ability to work independently, under the direction of others, and as a part of a team.
- Ability to recognize confidential information and to maintain strictly the confidentiality of such information.
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally and educationally diverse environment.
- Proactive in learning and adapting to new systems and processes.
- Ability to perform under stressful conditions in a thoughtful and professional manner.