WilmerHale is a leading, full-service international law firm with 1,000 lawyers located throughout 12 offices in the United States, Europe and Asia. Our lawyers work at the intersection of government, technology and business, and we remain committed to our guiding principles of providing quality, excellent legal and client services; developing diversity among our lawyers and staff and cultivating an environment that promotes an ambitious spirit, collaboration and collegiality by drawing on the extraordinary talents and dynamic experience of our lawyers. Our goal is to reflect the diversity of our clients and the communities in which we practice.
Responsible for supporting the effective, efficient, and consistent delivery of programs and projects in alignment with the Firm’s overall competency-based talent management program for lawyers, primarily focusing on recruitment and diversity initiatives with the expectation of additional support for legal personnel and professional development and training initiatives as needed.
- In collaboration with the Legal Recruitment Manager, successfully designs, effectively and efficiently coordinates, and evaluates all aspects of the firm’s Summer Associate Program including, pre-arrival processes and communications, orientation, mentoring program with partners and associates, social and community service events, diversity events and initiatives, educational and special firm programming.
- In conjunction with Hiring Partner, Summer Program Co-Chairs, Practice Managers, and the Recruitment Manager, generates interest and solicits substantive summer associate work assignments and observational opportunities from the firm’s practice areas and pro bono programs. Manages the workload reporting system and evaluation process for summer associates.
- In collaboration with the Legal Recruitment Manager, effectively and efficiently coordinates the law school student recruitment process including supporting efforts for the firm’s branding initiatives and targeted law school communications. Facilitates the selection and scheduling of law schools for campus interviews. Schedules student and attorney interviewers for on-campus and in-office interviews. Coordinates and reviews interview feedback and facilitates the hiring decision process with the Hiring Committee; participates in follow-up activities and monitors the effectiveness of follow-up activity with offerees. Coordinates recruiting receptions, offer dinners and functions, both in-house and on-campus for assigned schools.
- Ensures accuracy of recruitment and interview process data and assists with Affirmative Action plan compliance and reporting.
- Drafts, processes, and files related recruitment correspondence; runs background checks for all new hires and demonstrates sound judgment when elevating issues as needed.
- Compiles and analyzes recruitment statistics both in preparation for and during the recruitment season for Hiring Committee meetings and ongoing for general firm metrics reporting and external survey purposes.
- Aids in the effective engagement and ongoing relationship building with law schools and law student groups throughout the calendar year (e.g. panel presentations for 1Ls, events and sponsorship opportunities, communications, etc.).
- Coordinates the recruitment of judicial clerks and the lateral attorney recruitment process.
- Coordinates all aspects of the arrival process for new associate orientation/onboarding, lateral hires, staff attorneys, and technology specialists. Provides substantive feedback and methods for improving and expanding the process.
Diversity and Inclusion:
- Assists with planning and coordinating various firm-wide and local Diversity and Inclusion programs, events, and meetings, including securing of meeting rooms, meeting room preparation, on-site coordination, and trouble shooting.
- Provides support to both the firm-wide Director and Manager of Diversity and Inclusion on various initiatives, including responding to RFP’s and other requests for data, as well as other projects supporting Diversity and Inclusion at the firm.
Legal Personnel and Development:
- Assists with the semi-annual evaluation processes for attorneys.
- Compiles and analyzes statistical information and creates necessary reports to assist with various information requests and survey submissions.
- Responsible for developing a comprehensive knowledge of all firm policies and practices as it relates to attorneys and works to ensure the appropriate implementation of each.
Professional Development and Training:
- Assists with staffing in-person and virtual programming as needed.
- In alignment with the firm’s strategic goals, objectives, and initiatives, assists with the annual budget preparation and monthly monitoring of accounts, anticipates and resolves discrepancies, handles related payments, reimbursements, and issues.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Contributes to the Firm’s Service Excellence initiative to consistently improve its image internally and externally. Display professionalism, quality service and a “can do” attitude to internal members/departments of the firm as well as external clients and vendors.
- Strong attention to detail, excellent written and analytical skills, and ability to multi-task are required.
- Strong oral communication and inter-personal skills are required.
- Ability to work in a team environment is critical. Motivation and drive are important.
- Successful time management skills are required.
- Strong technical skills on the following applications preferred: Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook 2007, PeopleSoft, LawCruit, viDesktop or other Talent Management systems.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required.
- One to three years of experience, preferably in law firm or other professional services firm.
- Experience working in a professional environment and interfacing with significantly senior colleagues is required.
- Prior experience working independently or with little supervision on some projects.
Upon joining the firm new hires will go through our onboarding program and be paired with a staff mentor to help them acclimate to the firm. Additionally, there will be opportunities for new employees to take advantage of training and development, public service, and diversity and inclusion programs.
WilmerHale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, age, disability or veteran status, or other protected status.