Website Kirkland & Ellis
About Kirkland & Ellis
At Kirkland & Ellis, we are united in our ambition and drive to move forward. We share core values that help us achieve excellence: collaboration, talent empowerment, service, inclusion, respect and gratitude. Our people are our greatest asset, and we invest in the brightest talent and encourage a diversity of perspectives and strengths to create dynamic teams that operate at the pinnacle of their field. Our talented professionals show up every day knowing they will engage in meaningful work, continuous learning and professional development.
As one of the world’s leading law firms, we serve a broad range of clients with market-leading practices in private equity, M&A and other complex corporate transactions; investment fund formation and management; restructurings; high-stakes litigation and trials; and government, regulatory and internal investigations. We handle the most complicated and sophisticated legal matters because we don’t just meet industry standards, we create them. We bring innovation and entrepreneurialism to every engagement and, as a result, have long-standing client relationships with leading global corporations and financial sponsors. With 6,500 employees (including 3,000+ lawyers) operating from 18 offices across the United States, Europe and Asia, we are one of the largest law firms in the world and a top financial performer.
As a member of the Firmwide (FW) Legal Recruiting & Development Department (LRD), the Legal Recruiting Manager will provide strategic support to the campus legal recruiting efforts of the New York office.
This position requires a high level of collaboration with attorneys and staff and the ability to work independently. This position requires the exercise of independent judgment.
The ideal candidate will be highly organized, possess excellent proofing and communication (oral and written) skills; the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment; a very strong attention to detail; and a professional demeanor. Additionally, the ideal candidate will possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships among lawyers and staff to achieve results.
Essential Functions (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary.)
- Partner with LRD, Recruiting Committee and Hiring Partners on all aspects of law student recruiting efforts, including on-campus interviews, callbacks, offer receptions/dinners, 1L hiring, 1L recruiting events, clerk recruiting, 3L recruiting and campus outreach sponsorships/activities.
- Support all aspects of the Summer Associate Program, including onboarding/orientation, planning and attending summer associate events, mentors, work assignments and the review process.
- Manage all administrative aspects involved in on-campus and entry level recruiting
- Manage on-campus interviews, job fairs and resume collections
- Drive the attorney offer and hiring process, including preparing, updating, and managing the correspondence of offer letters, reviewing offers for consistency and uniformity, conducting due diligence, and identifying liability issues
- Manage New Associate new hire paperwork/onboarding
- Build strategic relationships with career services professionals, law student groups and affinity groups to advance the Firm’s recruiting strategies
- Act as a “Brand Ambassador” to help raise the profile of the Kirkland & Ellis brand and Legal Recruiting & Development within the New York legal market
- Oversee judicial clerk outreach and receptions
- Manage sponsorship requests and law student outreach including panels and receptions (including ALLSA)
- Ensure the regular maintenance of, and contribution to, attorney applicant databases for purposes of applicant tracking, NALP reporting, and reference checking; develop, prepare and analyze relevant reports and projections regarding attorney attrition, market analysis and hours
- Collaborate with other Kirkland offices and departments to identify efficiencies and best practices
- Provide reports and statistical data as needed
- Supervision of department assistants and coordinators
- Work closely with Recruiting, Training & Development teams to assist with ad hoc projects as needed
Education, Work Experience, Skills
Eight-plus years of experience, preferably in law firm or other professional services environment. The candidate must also demonstrate strong leadership, problem-solving, and strategic planning skills, and the ability to work across all levels of management with various personality types; build relationships, be proactive, stay organized, and multitask in a fast-paced, pressured environment. A Bachelor’s degree is required, along with superior verbal and written communication skills.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise regarding attorney recruitment activities;
- Strong leadership and teamwork skills;
- Strong problem-solving skills;
- Strong planning and organizational skills;
- Ability to design short-term and long-term goals, with clear criteria to measure success and return on investment;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines;
- Ability to excel in a multiple authorities environment;
- Superior verbal and written communication skills;
- A proactive approach and the ability to work "hands-on" as required;
- High degree of comfort interacting with partners, coupled with a strong image and presence that engenders confidence from firm management and attorneys;
- Strong presentation skills combined with confidence and poise;
- A Bachelor’s degree combined with a minimum of eight years of recruiting experience, preferably in a large law firm or other professional services environment;
- Proficiency in the use office software, including Microsoft Office. Experience with ViDesktop preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP. To complete an application and submit your resume, please click here.