Website Kaplan Hecker & Fink LLP
Kaplan Hecker & Fink LLP is currently seeking a Professional Development Senior Specialist to oversee and manage all aspects of attorney and staff training, CLE compliance, and performance reviews. The successful candidate will contribute to a diverse range of internal- and external-facing functions, with significant room to take initiative and play an impactful role in continuing to build our successful and growing firm.
Kaplan Hecker & Fink LLP brings together a high‐stakes, cutting‐edge litigation practice and a pioneering public interest practice in one modern and progressive law firm. Kaplan Hecker’s highly experienced lawyers serve clients across a wide range of matters, including commercial litigation, white‐collar criminal defense, investigations, and complex regulatory and securities cases. The firm balances its commercial practice with a groundbreaking commitment to the public interest. From suing the white supremacists who organized the violence in Charlottesville, challenging the Metropolitan Detention Center’s denial of access to counsel on behalf of the Federal Defenders of New York, Inc., protecting LGBTQ+ rights in Mississippi and Florida, and suing Donald Trump and others for conspiring to defraud investors, Kaplan Hecker has placed public service at the center of its practice with notable results.
We have experienced tremendous success and growth since our founding in 2017, and now seek smart, driven, and talented applicants to join our growing team.
- Work with the Chief Operating Officer and attorneys to develop and implement training curricula, including internal and external Continuing Legal Education (CLE) and other programs, identify training needs, generate training topics, and draft program content.
- Work with the partners to create development plans for associates.
Coordinate with external coaches to address identified development needs for associates.
- Provide coaching for associates on work and career issues and strategies for success.
- Work with the firm’s recruiting and DE&I teams to develop summer associate programming and new-hire training.
- Help to manage internal effectiveness efforts at the firm, including through internal communications, programming, and events.
- Monitor external trends and best practices in attorney professional development.
- Manage attorney mentor/mentee program.
- Manage and oversee the annual and interim performance review processes for attorneys and staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have a combination of employment, education, and life experience that demonstrates the qualities and skills below:
Experience: You have at least 4 years of relevant experience in a comparable position at a law firm.
Clear Communication and Attention to Detail: You express yourself clearly and concisely, always highlighting the most important information. You proactively communicate the status of your work and share updates with colleagues when necessary.You ensure that your work is mistake-free.
Ownership, Initiative, and Teamwork: You take ownership of your projects and follow through on their completion. You proactively anticipate, communicate, and work to independently resolve obstacles you encounter in your work.You possess a strong customer-service orientation and ability to work well within a team.
Organization and Project Management: You are comfortable balancing tasks of varying levels of urgency and complexity. You work well under pressure with tight deadlines.
Flexibility: You are flexible to be available after hours.You are comfortable in an environment where your responsibilities may vary from day to day. You demonstrate a "no job too big, no job too small" attitude, and take a collaborative, team-focused approach to rejuggling priorities and contributing to tasks across the firm.
Confidentiality: You must be able to adhere to firm policies regarding the protection of confidential data and demonstrate sensitivity to (and good judgment in connection with) confidential attorney, personnel, and firm matters.
Mission Orientation: You are enthusiastic and passionate about our commitment to civil rights and public interest law. You thrive when your work is connected to purpose.
In addition, the successful candidate will be:
- Tech-savvy and a highly capable user of Microsoft Office software, with strong Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint knowledge a must. Knowledge of viGlobal software preferred.
- Based in the New York City area or willing to relocate.
You must be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 by your hire date to be eligible to start in this role. Proof of vaccination will be required.
Compensation: The expected base salary for this role ranges from $90,000 - $120,000 and is dependent on experience.
To apply for the Professional Development Senior Specialist role, please submit a resume, cover letter, and two references on our applicant portal. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.