Website Kaplan Hecker & Fink LLP
Kaplan Hecker & Fink LLP is currently accepting applications for a Director of Recruiting and DE&I to provide support for the day-to-day execution of attorney, law student and staff recruiting functions at the firm, in addition to creating and implementing new diversity initiatives and strategies. The successful candidate will contribute to a diverse range of internal- and external-facing functions, with significant room to take initiative and play an impactful role in continuing to build our successful and growing firm.
Kaplan Hecker & Fink LLP brings together a high-stakes, cutting-edge litigation practice and a pioneering public interest practice in one modern and progressive law firm. Kaplan Hecker’s highly experienced lawyers serve clients across a wide range of matters, including commercial litigation, white-collar criminal defense, investigations, and complex regulatory and securities cases. The Firm balances its commercial practice with a groundbreaking commitment to the public interest. From suing the white supremacists who organized the violence in Charlottesville, challenging the Metropolitan Detention Center’s denial of access to counsel on behalf of the Federal Defenders of New York, Inc., protecting LGBTQ+ rights in Mississippi and Florida, and successfully suing Donald Trump for sexual assault and defamation, Kaplan Hecker has placed public service at the center of its practice with notable results.
We have experienced tremendous success and growth since our founding in 2017, and now seek smart, driven, and talented applicants to join our growing team.
- Manage all processes surrounding law student, staff, judicial clerk and lateral recruiting, including interviews, feedback and analysis of candidate materials.
- Oversee OCI process from start to finish for all law schools.
- Ensure timely and professional correspondence with potential candidates, law schools and recruiters.
- Oversee the firm’s summer associate program, including orientation, onboarding, trainings, social events, work assignment process, and the mid- and end-of-summer evaluation processes
- Develop and implement firmwide recruiting strategy in collaboration with Partners and Chief Operating Officer
- Collaborate with Human Resources, Professional Development and Business Development teams to develop and implement onboarding and integration strategy for all new hires
- Oversee attorney offer process, including presenting offer recommendation packets to firm leadership
- Develop and cultivate relationships with law school leaders and career services offices to build the firm’s brand on campus
- Manage professional development of legal recruiting staff
- Conduct market research on legal recruiting trends, stay up-to-date on legal hiring market and provide updates internally
- Lead special projects as assigned by Managing Partner.
- Drive the firm’s diversity, equity and inclusion strategies and execution in collaboration with firm leadership and DE&I team.
- Lead programming and initiatives for heritage months and firmwide training curriculum.
- Lead planning and oversee coordination of the firm’s diversity, equity and inclusion programming, including support for the firm's Equity & Inclusion Committee, along with creating, maintaining, and distributing related internal resources.
- Oversee completion of firm DE&I surveys, reports, and compilation of other statistical information for firmwide communications, meetings, and other requests.
- Monitor industry DE&I data and assist with efforts for analyzing and reporting internal DE&I metrics for measuring progress and effectiveness of the firm’s DE&I strategy and initiatives.
- Maintain effective engagement and ongoing relationship building with law schools and law student groups throughout the calendar year (e.g. panel presentations for 1Ls, events and sponsorship opportunities, communications, etc).
The successful candidate will have a combination of employment, educational, and life experience that demonstrates the qualities and skills below:
Experience: Bachelor’s degree required. You have at least 7+ years of relevant experience in a law firm.
Clear Communication and Attention to Detail: You express yourself clearly and concisely, always highlighting the most important information. You proactively communicate the status of your work and share updates with colleagues when necessary. You ensure that your work is mistake-free.
Ownership, Initiative, and Teamwork: You take ownership of your projects and follow through on their completion. You proactively anticipate, communicate, and work to independently resolve obstacles you encounter in your work. You possess a strong customer-service orientation and ability to work well within a team.
Organization and Project Management: You are comfortable balancing tasks of varying levels of urgency and complexity. You work well under pressure with tight deadlines.
Flexibility: You are flexible to be available after hours to assist with recruiting and diversity projects as needed. You are comfortable in an environment where your responsibilities may vary from day to day. You demonstrate a "no job too big, no job too small" attitude, and take a collaborative, team-focused approach to rejuggling priorities and contributing to tasks across the Firm.
Confidentiality: You must be able to adhere to firm policies regarding the protection of confidential data and demonstrate sensitivity to (and good judgment in connection with) confidential attorney, personnel, and Firm matters.
Mission Orientation: You are enthusiastic and passionate about our commitment to civil rights and public interest law. You thrive when your work is connected to purpose.
In addition, the successful candidate will be:
- Tech-savvy and a highly capable user of Microsoft Office software, with strong Microsoft Excel knowledge a must. Knowledge of viGlobal applicant-tracking software, and/or website management preferred.
- Based in the New York area or willing to relocate.
- A people person.
Compensation: The expected base salary for this role ranges from $160,000 - $225,000 and is dependent on experience.
Additional Information: You must be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 by your hire date to be eligible to start in this role. Proof of vaccination will be required.
Kaplan Hecker & Fink is committed to fostering a workplace in which lawyers and business professionals from all backgrounds are welcomed, supported, and given every opportunity to contribute, develop, lead, and reach their highest potential. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
To apply for the Director of Recruiting & DEI role, please submit a resume, cover letter, and two references on our applicant portal. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.