Website Dechert LLP
This role will set the overall strategy for legal talent acquisition at the firm and direct the global recruiting team to execute the team’s annual strategy. Working in concert with the firm’s practice group leadership, hiring partners, and executive team, this individual will identify the talent needs of the firm across the globe and collaborate on brand and culture strategy. This individual will lead the overall processes for bringing the best talent to the firm, including our summer program and vacation schemes. We are looking for a dynamic, charismatic, inspiring, and forward thinking leader for this role. This individual can sit in either New York or Philadelphia.
- Align attorney recruiting strategies with the Firm’s strategic plan and work collaboratively with talent team to set overall talent objectives.
- Collaborate on setting the firm’s brand and culture strategy and implement that into an annual plan for the department with specific metrics to measure success.
- Analyze trends and overall firm performance as it relates to attorney recruitment.
- Assess progress on a quarterly basis against the plan addressing issues to augment the approach as necessary.
- Provide direction, leadership and management of the legal recruiting team globally.
- Daily oversight of workflows on the recruiting team and serve as mentor and advisor to the team.
- Direct and participate in team hiring.
- Develop and nurture relationships with career offices at target law schools to ensure we are a firm of choice for panels, presentations, mock interviews, etc.
- Develop campus relations teams to oversee relationships with career services offices, leverage alumni attorneys, and oversee firm sponsorships of student groups.
- Cultivate partnerships and build our brand with search firms so that recruiters direct candidates to Dechert.
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders at the firm, including hiring partners across offices, associates, partners, and other key business service professionals to ensure high participation and engagement in recruitment activities.
- Establish close collaboration with the diversity team to prioritize recruitment of top diverse talent.
- Work with the talent team to develop and implement best in class onboarding and integration strategy for attorneys.
- Ensure a top notch summer associate program experience, including orientation and training program for all US summer associates.
- Oversee efforts to improve candidate experiences.
- Establish and execute interviewer training.
- Innovate and manage entry level recruiting, including evaluating the criteria used for selecting candidates, outreach to candidates, and annual analysis of predictors of success.
- Provide direction for on campus recruiting, updating and overseeing our strategy with hospitality suites, creative giveaways, callback decisions, receptions, post-offer events and follow up.
- Plan Law School 1L events, offeree events, and other key recruiting events.
- Direct the lateral attorney recruiting process, working with practice group leaders and directors to determine hiring needs, sourcing, interviewing, offer process to ensure a seamless recruiting and onboarding candidate experience.
Marketing & Communications
- Create unique marketing materials, regularly upgrade career pages on the firm’s website, and work relentlessly to elevate Dechert’s brand.
- Collaborate with Marketing to elevate Dechert’s brand and ensure that we are going to market with a consistent brand.
- Manage external reports including NALP Directory, Vault Reports, American Lawyer Surveys, and others.
- Develop consistency in communications to candidates.
- Develop and manage global legal recruiting budget.
- Allocate resources to meet financial objectives.
- Negotiate with vendors to obtain best prices.
- Complete special projects as needed.
- Perform any and all other duties as necessary and as assigned for efficient functioning of the department and firm.
- Bachelor’s degree required; JD preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant professional experience, including leadership and management experience required.
- Professional services experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills, charismatic, and high energy level.
- Team player, leader, and good collaborator.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Skillful in motivating, coaching and leading a team.
- Communicate effectively with practice group heads, team members, lawyers, law students, administrators, search firms and others.
- Prioritize and coordinate own work and the work of others.
- Strong business acumen in planning and organizing, information integration, decision-making and ability to achieve results while focusing on customer requirements and business success.
- Broad knowledge of industry and trends.
- Post pandemic- regular travel will be required.
- This position operates in a professional office environment which is generally free of hazards and exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
- This position requires regular attendance on-site at a Dechert location with some travel to different sites using various modes of private and commercial transportation. Incumbents may be required to work extended hours including evenings and weekends.
- This position routinely operates standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopy machines, fax machines and filing cabinets, and requires frequent communication with the firm’s employees and partners as well as third parties.
- This position is mainly sedentary. Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to read, sit and type for sustained periods of time; to walk, stand, reach, and bend; to open and close filing cabinets and access and retrieve materials in file rooms; to lift, carry and move files or other items of light to moderate weight; to operate equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
- This position requires a normal audio range, with or without correction. It also requires the normal visual range, with or without correction. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.