Website Arnold & Porter
The Talent Department of Arnold & Porter has an opening for Director of Professional Development. The Director may be located in the Washington, DC or New York offices. The Director of Professional Development establishes, implements, and promotes comprehensive, high-quality attorney development programs that meet the professional, business, and client service goals of the firm. In addition, the Director works to promote consistency among the objectives of the firm's attorney recruitment, orientation, mentor, evaluation and professional development programs. The Director oversees the Professional Development team.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Creating educational curriculum to include substantive law issues, practice skills, practice-group specific subjects, client service, communications, management training, as well as other educational programs for attorneys.
- Identifying and engaging with outside consultants and trainers, as necessary, to provide programs, in addition to using in-house resources.
- Incorporating on-line training programs into the overall curriculum, as appropriate.
- Integrating the firm’s training program with applicable CLE requirements and establishes/evaluates CLE tracking mechanisms.
- Maintaining current knowledge of the firm’s policies and procedures with respect to attorney recruitment, orientation, work assignments, evaluations, mentor programs, and training with the objective of evaluating these systems against the “best practices” in major international law firms.
- Surveying attorneys in practice groups and in firm management to identify professional development issues and to identify areas for training.
- Developing a curriculum for all attorneys to include subjects of general applicability, practice-specific training, and level-specific training.
- Evaluating existing procedures for new attorney orientation and integration; recommends areas that could be enhanced.
- Overseeing attorney participation in professional and bar organizations, with an eye towards getting the maximum participation benefit for the firm and for attorneys.
- Maintaining a master calendar database (accessible to all attorneys) of all training activities. Working with the IT Department to develop mechanisms for disseminating curriculum information firmwide.
- Tracking participation in programs and obtains regular feedback for evaluation.
- Developing materials to “market” professional development activities internally and with recruits.
- Keeps up-to-date on professional development initiatives through literature, seminars, conferences, and membership in appropriate professional organizations. Participates in professional development organizations.
- Preparing and monitoring the budget for all professional development activities.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with graduate and/or law degree a plus.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in a law firm, professional services or corporate environment and a minimum of two (2) years of experience in a similar role within a law firm, professional services or corporate environment.
- Proficiency in Access and viDesktop.
- Proficiency in Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office Suite and/or related software.
- Highly developed project management skills with prior supervisory experience.
- Exceptional judgment, flexibility and professionalism and ability to lead effectively while being a team player.
- Professional presence, strong interpersonal, management and problem solving skills.
- Strong presentation skills and initiative.
Ability to make sound decisions and demonstrate a high degree of trustworthiness in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to strategically maintain financial/budgetary information.
- Ability to be a change agent and drive new firm initiatives.
- Ability to demonstrate strategic focus.
- Ability to define goals and follow though to achieve results.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Possess reliability, dependability and motivation.
- Excellent organization and communications skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while exhibiting a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Exceptional client service both internal and external.
- Availability to travel as needed to the firm’s offices.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), age, marital or partnership status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family leave status, citizenship status, immigration status, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP endeavors to make www.arnoldporter.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Director of Support Staff Stephanie Denmark at +1 202.942.6068. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please click here. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster.
Arnold & Porter is an EO Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP uses E-Verify, which is a web-based system, to confirm the eligibility of our employees to work in the United States. As an E-Verify employer, we verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We use E-Verify because we are a federal contractor containing the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause. Please see the posters for details regarding E-Verify or contact Arnold & Porter’s Human Resources Department for more information. E-Verify Participation Poster and Right-to-work Poster.
Click here to apply: Current Opportunities | Arnold & Porter (arnoldporter.com)