Website Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over 30 countries all over the world. We’re built on the work of talented and motivated people, in a supportive and collaborative environment, dedicated to delivering an exceptional standard of work for our clients. We operate at the forefront of the legal industry, and our deals and cases often make headline business news. With many of our partners and senior leadership acknowledged as leaders in their field, and with all our people demonstrating the highest levels of professionalism, we have a reputation for delivering excellence in all that we do.
We’re thoughtful and inventive, and we’ve developed a culture in which difference and openness is positively valued, where people are free to be themselves. We’re one global team, supportive and collaborative but also ambitious and driven. Our capacity to combine these qualities and provide a setting in which our people can thrive is what makes us different.
Department purpose and structure
The HR team at Allen & Overy provides a first class service to the business, offering strategic HR business advice at the business partner level and quality support services in the full range of HR functions through specialist teams such as, learning & development, resourcing, reward, employee relations advice, diversity and inclusion, payroll, systems and HR administration.
The Manager of Recruitment (Law Student) is responsible for the day-to-day management of law student recruitment efforts, including the on-campus interview and callback processes, the annual summer associate programs, law school and student outreach and events, and entry-level attorney recruitment. This role will oversee law student recruitment efforts for A&O’s New York, Washington DC, Los Angeles, and Silicon Valley offices.
- HR Head and HR Managers (Americas)
- US Associates/Counsel and Partners (and notably the US Recruitment Committee members/ US Hiring Partners)
- US Practice Group Heads
- Law school career services teams
Law Student Recruitment
- Work with U.S. hiring partner(s) and wider recruiting committee to develop, implement, and manage recruiting strategies and programs for US law students.
- Oversee the law student hiring process, including the management of on-campus interview programs at 25+ schools for A&O’s US offices. This includes working with the firm’s hiring and managing partners to determine our target class size and to agree on list of OCI/resume collect schools, overseeing the OCI registration process, selecting interviewers and others to ensure proper staffing at interview programs.
- Oversee callback interview process, including identifying target callback numbers, reviewing callback selections with OCI interviewers, sourcing candidates materials, overseeing team correspondence with candidates, overseeing callback scheduling process and soliciting lawyer feedback as needed.
- Prepare materials for recruiting partners and committee meetings, and work together with hiring partners to manage offers and target numbers.
- Liaise with overseas offices as needed for their recruitment of US law students and participation in US on-campus interview programs.
- Manage relationships with law school career services departments and serve as liaison to student groups/organizations.
- Oversee law school and law student outreach efforts including the organization of panels, receptions, networking events, securing attendees and panelists, overseeing sponsorships for student groups, etc.
- Oversee the management of our applicant tracking system, LawCruit. Develop, prepare, and analyze relevant reports and statistical data as needed.
- Collaborate with other A&O offices and departments to identify efficiencies and best practices in the area of graduate/law student recruitment.
- Oversee and conduct annual interviewer training for our attorneys, including updating interviewer guides annually.
- Manage the entry-level recruitment process for 3L law students and LLM students, including sourcing of candidates, interview scheduling, job fair management and staffing, offer decisions, and onboarding.
- Serve as firm liaison to law students between the summer associate programs and their joining as first year associates.
Summer Associate Program
- Oversee summer associate programs for US offices, including the coordination of events and training programs.
- Oversee the organization of the summer associate orientation program and onboarding process, including liaising with relevant departments such as IT, payroll, work authorization/visa application process, facilities, catering, etc.
- Manage the summer associate work allocation committee and oversee work allocation process.
- Monitor summer associate performance, oversee feedback collection process, conduct mid-summer and end-summer review meetings with US hiring partners, and manage entry-level offer process.
- Liaise with offices overseas hosting summer programs for US law students.
- Oversee diversity efforts as they relate to law student recruitment efforts and the annual summer associate programs.
- Supervision of department coordinator, senior coordinator, and temporary assistants (hired annually to support during summer months).
- Develop and manage US marketing materials to promote firm, including maintaining student-facing sections of A&O website, brochures, etc.
- Maintain and prepare firm information for campus interviewers and ensure internal messaging is consistent with overall firm strategy.
- Prepare and manage all survey responses in which the firm participates (e.g. Vault, Chambers, NALP, AmLaw, etc.)
This individual will report directly to the Head of HR, Americas and will work closely with other members of the US HR team.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of seven years, experience of managing recruitment processes in a high-quality, high-touch, fast-paced environment, ideally at a law firm. Knowledge of the US legal market and law student recruitment industry desirable.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to quickly establish rapport, build trust and demonstrate credibility with a range of personalities and across varied seniority levels.
- Exceptional public speaking, presentation, and networking skills.
- Proven organizational and project management skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Must be willing to work extended hours and travel, including some weekends, particularly during the busy recruitment season (May-August)
- Strong judgment and ability to respect, protect, and maintain highly confidential information.
This role can be based in either the firm's New York or Washington, DC offices.
To apply, please visit the posting on our careers page.