Responsible for supporting the effective, efficient, and consistent delivery of programs and projects in alignment with the Firm’s overall competency-based talent management program for lawyers, primarily focusing on recruitment and professional development and training initiatives with the expectation of additional support for legal personnel and diversity initiatives as needed.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
- In collaboration with the Legal Recruitment Manager, successfully designs, effectively and efficiently coordinates, and evaluates all aspects of the firm’s Summer Associate Program including, pre-arrival processes and communications, orientation, mentoring program with partners and associates, social and community service events, diversity events and initiatives, educational and special firm programming.
- In conjunction with Hiring Partner, Summer Program Co-Chairs, Practice Managers, and the Recruitment Manager, generates interest and solicits substantive summer associate work assignments and observational opportunities from the firm’s practice areas and pro bono programs.
- Manages the workload reporting system and evaluation process for summer associates.
- In collaboration with the Legal Recruitment Manager, effectively and efficiently coordinates the law school student recruitment process including supporting efforts for the firm’s branding initiatives and targeted law school communications.
- Facilitates the selection and scheduling of law schools for campus interviews. Schedules student and attorney interviewers for on-campus and in-office interviews.
- Coordinates and reviews interview feedback and facilitates the hiring decision process with the Hiring Committee; participates in follow-up activities and monitors the effectiveness of follow-up activity with offerees.
- Coordinates recruitment receptions, offer dinners and functions, both in-house and on-campus for assigned schools.
- Coordinates diversity presentations and receptions on-campus and related outreach to student groups.
- Ensures accuracy of recruitment and interview process data and assists with Affirmative Action plan compliance and reporting.
- Drafts, processes, and files related recruitment correspondence; runs background checks for all new hires and demonstrates sound judgment when elevating issues as needed.
- Compiles and analyzes recruitment statistics both in preparation for and during the recruitment season for Hiring Committee meetings and ongoing for general firm metrics reporting and external survey purposes.
- Aids in the effective engagement and ongoing relationship building with law schools and law student groups throughout the calendar year (e.g. panel presentations for 1Ls, events and sponsorship opportunities, communications, etc.).
- Coordinates the recruitment of judicial clerks and aspects of the lateral attorney recruitment process.
- Coordinates all aspects of the arrival process for lateral hires, incoming attorneys, staff attorneys, and technology specialists. Provides substantive feedback and methods for improving and expanding the process.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Professional Development and Training:
- Coordinates the legal development and training programs for attorneys including new attorneys and summer associates.
- Works with internal presenters to develop and deliver effective training.
Manages all logistics of meetings and programs including scheduling, vendor support, securing of meeting rooms, meeting room preparation, on-site coordination, and trouble shooting.
- Works with the Professional Development and Training Managers and other training and development team members to identify and address training and development needs, develop curriculum, and implement programs to maximize effectiveness and quality.
- Acts as liaison with and offers related support to appropriate committees and legal departments/practice groups to ensure attorney training and development program goals are identified and met.
- Engages with associates, counsel, partners, and related committees to remain knowledgeable about needs and obtain current feedback.
- Keeps abreast of trends in legal training and development for attorneys. Makes recommendations around program creation.
- Creates meaningful evaluative process for all training and development programs to include survey creation and administration and results collection and tabulation; analyzes results for trends and developmental gaps; developmental gaps; develops recommendations based upon results.
- Assists with creating and implementing attorney training and development policies and procedures.
- Complies and analyzes training and development statistics for attorney and firm metrics reporting and external survey purposes in various Attorney Management Systems and in collaboration with other administrative departments (e.g. HR and IS).
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Legal Personnel and Development:
- In collaboration with the Legal Personnel team, coordinates the semi-annual evaluation processes for associates, senior associates, counsel, special counsel, discovery attorneys, attorneys, and staff attorneys.
- Responsible for developing a comprehensive knowledge of all firm policies and practices as it relates to attorneys and works to ensure the appropriate implementation of each.
- Works with various individuals within the firm to ensure the appropriate reimbursement of expenses as well as tracking and paying of vendor bills in accordance with firm policies.
- Compiles and analyzes statistical information and creates necessary reports to assist with various information requests and survey submissions.
- Coordinates other training and development as well as more general attorney programs and processes which may include, but not be limited to, new associate orientation/onboarding, retreats for new Senior Associates, Counsel, Special Counsel, and Partners, upward evaluations, and other related programs such as individual development plans.
Diversity and Inclusion:
- Assists with planning and coordinating various firm-wide and local Diversity and Inclusion programs, events, and meetings, including securing of meeting rooms, meeting room preparation, on-site coordination, and trouble shooting.
- Serves as local office liaison for the Women’s Leadership Initiative Steering Committee and Diversity Committee, responsible for the execution of local office events and programs.
- Coordinate and oversee local diversity sponsorship programs and events, including tracking attendance, and securing payment.
- Update affinity group distribution lists as necessary.
- In alignment with the firm’s strategic goals, objectives, and initiatives, assists with the annual budget preparation and monthly monitoring of accounts, anticipates and resolves discrepancies, handles related payments, reimbursements, and issues
Contributes to the Firm’s Service Excellence initiative to consistently improve its image internally and externally. Display professionalism, quality service and a “can do” attitude to internal members/departments of the firm as well as external clients and vendors.
- Strong attention to detail, excellent written and analytical skills, and ability to multi-task are required.
- Strong oral communication and inter-personal skills are required.
Ability to work in a team environment is critical. Motivation and drive are important.
- Successful time management skills are required.
- Strong technical skills on the following applications preferred: Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook 2007, PeopleSoft, viDesktop or other Talent Management systems.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required.
- One to three years of experience, preferably in law firm or other professional services firm.
- Experience working in a professional environment and interfacing with significantly senior colleagues is required.
- Prior experience working independently or with little supervision on some projects.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability