Website Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over 30 countries all over the world. We’re built on the work of talented and motivated people, in a supportive and collaborative environment, dedicated to delivering an exceptional standard of work for our clients. We operate at the forefront of the legal industry, and our deals and cases often make headline business news. With many of our partners and senior leadership acknowledged as leaders in their field, and with all our people demonstrating the highest levels of professionalism, we have a reputation for delivering excellence in all that we do.
We’re thoughtful and inventive, and we’ve developed a culture in which difference and openness is positively valued, where people are free to be themselves. We’re one global team, supportive and collaborative but also ambitious and driven. Our capacity to combine these qualities and provide a setting in which our people can thrive is what makes us different.
Department purpose and structure
The HR team at Allen & Overy provides a first class service to the business, offering strategic HR business advice at the business partner level and quality support services in the full range of HR functions through specialist teams such as, learning & development, resourcing, reward, employee relations advice, diversity and inclusion, payroll, systems and HR administration.
To provide training, development, and compliance support to the business as a key member of the Professional Development group within the U.S HR team.
- Senior Manager of Professional Development
- HR Head and HR Managers (Americas)
- US Associates/Counsel and Partners
- US Practice Group Heads
- External vendors and coaches
- Global Training and D&I teams
- Professional Development Assistant
Role and responsibilities
Attorney Training and Development
- Partner with attorney practice groups across the US offices to develop and implement training curricula including for Banking, Corporate, International Capital Markets, Litigation, and Tax groups; and for subject areas including Ethics and Risk Management.
- Oversee PLI Privileged Membership and programming from outside vendors.
- Liaise with the Marketing team for client CLE presentations.
- Plan and implement in-house Business Skills workshops as part of A&O’s Business School offerings across associate grade levels.
- Plan and implement week-long First Year Orientation.
- Liaise with the Global Training team and US practice groups regarding A&O University and global programs and off-sites.
- Serve as expert and advisor with oversight as to CLE and Bar requirements for all US admitted attorneys across the firm, and with foreign legal consultants in the US where applicable.
- Work with training program providers in US, and across offices where US CLE credit is requested, regarding US CLE compliance and accreditation.
- Oversee PD Assistant in preparation of CLE reports and documentation for relevant state Boards.
- Liaise with Belfast Compliance team regarding Annual Compliance surveys for US attorneys and staff.
Other Related Functions
- Help manage the PD budget and expenses, with oversight from PD Senior Manager and HR/Finance; work with PD Assistant for proper tracking and reporting of expenses for e.g., attorney registrations, professional memberships, bar-exam related dues, and training matters.
- Liaise with HR functions including the Recruiting team as to new joiners, with the Benefits team as to attorney issues (leaves, visa, etc.) and with PD managers re rotations, Compass talent management, and mentoring program where needed.
- Participation with various committees where needed (e.g., Diversity, Pro Bono Committees)
This individual will report directly to the Senior Manager of Professional Development and will work closely with other members of the US HR team.
- Ability to deal sensitively with difficult issues and a variety of different personalities and career levels.
- At least 5 years experience in the Professional Development area in a law firm with experience designing and implementing training curricula, and with CLE and other compliance aspects. Experience with Micron a plus.
- Excellent track record of working across groups within a complex international organization.
- Strong commercial/business acumen with the ability to influence strategic thinking/direction.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface at all levels and particularly to win the respect of the fee-earner (Associate/Counsel and Partner) and external vendor community, building and developing strong internal and external client relationships.
- Collaborative team player with the ability to nurture and work in a fast paced, intellectually rigorous environment.
- High energy individual who enjoys both the operational and strategic sides of this role and shows great flexibility
- Resilient; able to understand that credibility has to be earned in this environment and may take time.
- A person of sound judgment, able to establish a high level of credibility in the organization and act as a trusted advisor.
This role may sit in either our New York or Washington, DC offices.